Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Chicken Dance

I've never had the chicken pox. Never. I managed to get German Measles when I was in Elementary School though, so I'm immune to that (and so are my kiddos). I don't know if this immunity extends to surro babies though?

Anyway, during my last pregnancy, my OB told me I should get vaccinated against Chicken Pox after I deliver as it's much harder on the body as an adult. I figured I'd get around to it, but it hadn't occured to me until today. Oh crap. I should've gotten this right after Hadley was born. I did a little Googling and it seems that the CDC doesn't want you to get pregnant until 1 month after vaccination (some places on the web say 3 months, but others said 1 month). I have a little less than 2 months before we start trying to get pregnant. Should I get the vaccination? The way I understand it, if I get Chicken Pox while pregnant, it hasn't been proven to have any effects on the baby, but that doesn't mean there aren't any ill effects. I guess I will call IM and the RE's office and find out if I should get that or not.

In other news...Al finally got his bloodwork done today. He said they took 6 vials and he kind of got a little giddy due to lack of blood at the end. Silly boy. They had to run to Houston to get the kit he needed so it took a few extra days.

I got a haircut. It has nothing to do with surrogacy, but it does deal with me so I'm blogging about it. :) I really like it! It's my first haircut in a year. Seriously. The hairdresser was really impressed by how healthy my hair is. I wanted to reply with, "If you think that's healthy, you should see my...." well, you know. :D Loverly, just loverly.

4 comments:

MrsKnight said...

I'm anti-vaccine so I wouldn't do it, personally.

MrsKnight said...

I'm not sure, but I think immunities are passed via breast milk.

MrsKnight said...

Antibodies are passed through the placenta during the final trimester and through breastmilk. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/939.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=135

TXSurromom said...

The RE told the NC to look it up on the internet! LOL It says you can get it 1 month before and they moved the transfer to Aug. 15th or so. Thanks so much for the info!