Friday, August 26, 2011

When I See You Smile


Yesterday was our final ultrasound and my IM was there to see her sweet baby on the screen. Her face was priceless. I hope she does not mind me blogging about her reaction, but I think it's so critical to explaining why surrogacy was for me.

I try to keep her updated through weekly emails with her baby's progress, through pictures, phone calls, emails, texts, anything I can think of to tell her how her baby is growing. Sometimes I get to talk to IF too, but this is all so new to him that I think it feels a bit "make-believe" as it did for my husband with our first. When IF got to feel her move and as he's seen things brought into the house, I think it's being more and more real for him. None of those updates can compare to watching your child on a screen. I think that was such a powerful moment for my IM. She already adores this little girl so much, but I think seeing her sweet puckered lips and her full cheeks on that screen makes it easier for her to imagine bringing her home.

We also ran around the hospital a bit and got her familiar with where I will be delivering and where to go when the big day comes. She will be the petite blonde flying through the halls followed by a tall, dark-headed man yelling, "E, wait!!"

Every ultrasound with this pregnancy has been amazing and special for me, but yesterday, my eyes were locked on my IM's face while hers were focused on that screen, absorbing every detail. We got an estimate that the baby weighs around 4 lbs., 4 oz. right now. She's got full cheeks and likes to suck her thumbs. Her hands stayed around her face almost the entire ultrasound. She also likes to breathe. The tech said not all babies do that at this point and some only do it for spurts, but Baby L is a breather! I hope that means her lungs are getting lots of practice (remember, I am not the one having to wake up to those squeals at night!) E sat there and cried happy tears and thanked me, repeatedly, for my role in this. I thanked her for the privilege and we both had a good moment of it hitting us that we have really done it. We're almost to the end and then their journey can begin.

Here's my latest belly shot. Really starting to fill out these shirts here lately! Oh, the update from my OB appointment: I am measuring at 32 weeks, which is great. (Little tidbit for those that aren't "in the know" but your belly should measure, in cms, according to your week. So, if you're 31 weeks, your belly should measure about 31 cms.) I've lost a pound, which is okay b/c it's due to the changes in my eating habits. We're not trying to put me on a restrictive diet or anything, just changing what's going in and making bites count. :)


8 comments:

Heather said...

It is just amazing how fast your journey is going. I have been talking to you since the beginning and I hope it continues! <3
I am proud to call you a surro-sister!!

Jennifer said...

Now it's working :)

momof4 said...

you look so great! Love the update:) Going by so fast!

aggieam01 said...

yay! She's growing more every week!!! Glad it all went well :)

Krystal said...

Sounds like a great appointment and you look wonderful!

Michael said...

I love reading about your love of this process. As an IF it fills me with joy. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome update! As a soon to be surro (currently cycling) it reminds me why I am doing all that I am! Thank you!

TXSurromom said...

Thanks for the comments!!! :D